Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust
How it Works
- You transfer cash, securities, or other appreciated property into a trust.
- The trust makes fixed annual payments to you or to beneficiaries you name.
- When the trust terminates, the remainder passes to the University of South Carolina or one of its
affiliated foundations to be used as you have directed.
- Receive income for life or a term of up to 20 years in return for your gift.
- Receive an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of your contribution.
- Pay no up front capital gains tax on appreciated assets you donate.
- Your trust can meet personal or family needs that are tied to a specific time frame, such as tuition payments.