Charitable Remainder Unitrusts
How it Works
- You transfer cash, securities, or other appreciated property into a trust.
- The trust pays a percentage of the value of its principal, which is valued annually, to you or to one or
more beneficiaries you name.
- When the trust terminates, the remainder passes to the University of South Carolina or one of its
affiliated foundations to be used as you have directed.
- Receive income for life or a term of years in return for your gift.
- Receive an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of your contribution.
- Pay no up front capital gains tax on appreciated assets you donate.
- Make additional gifts to the trust, as your circumstances allow, to receive additional income and tax