Retained Life Estate
How it Works
- You transfer your residence, farm, or vacation home to the University of South Carolina or one of its
affiliated foundations subject to a life estate.
- You continue to live in the property for life or a specified term of years and continue to be
responsible for all taxes and upkeep.
- The property becomes available to the University of South Carolina or one of its affiliated
foundations when your life estate ends.
- You can give us a significant asset but retain the security of using it for the rest of your life.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of the appraised value of your property.
- You can terminate your life estate at any time and may receive an additional income tax deduction.